Kabarak University is looking for suitable qualified candidates to fill the following vacant positions in Kabarak University Online; Content Developer, Technical Support Officer & Administrative Assistant.
The University is a Christian institution committed to Christian principles and values and the successful candidates will be required to uphold this value system.
1. TECHNICAL SUPPORT OFFICER
Technical ICT Support
- Install new software and hardware
- Set up equipment such as laptops, data projectors, interactive whiteboards, sound systems and other specialist ICT equipment, ensuring that systems are ready for use and operating correctly.
- Deliver hardware and resources to work areas and training rooms as required.
Configuration & Installation
- Assist in creating a structured approach to rolling out new hardware or software, including procurement, testing and assessing the needs of user training.
Server & Network Support
- Perform basic diagnostic routines.
- Work on and give guidance to others on the ICT acceptable use policy.
- Perform checks to ensure that internet connectivity is maintained.
Blackboard LMS Support
- Provide technical administrative support for the Blackboard LMS.
- Provide on-the-job training and coaching to improve the company’s overall technical customer service for the Blackboard Learning Management System.
- Liaise with the Blackboard support office and other technical vendors.
- Develop a maintenance schedule for all computer hardware, software and networks, and ensure that it is followed.
- Manage the structure of the online Centre intranet and internal systems and contribute to their development.
- Detect, diagnose and resolve most PC, printer and peripheral device faults.
- Maintain electronic mail accounts and implement where appropriate.
- Ensure KABU policy on staff and student access to data and files is implemented.
- Produce material and equipment required for teaching and learning as requested, including printing, downloading of support material, work sheets and help sheets.
- Ensure the safe disposal of obsolete equipment, used consumables and waste _materials in line with recognized procedures and legal requirements.
Administration & Supervision
- Maintain an up‐to‐date inventory of ICT software and licenses in KABUO in collaboration with the KABU ICT department.
- Responsible for an efficient stock control system and associated records.
- Support the full range of financial planning for ICT, including purchase of larger items and help to estimate future budget requirements.
- Provide management technical information as required.
- Demonstrates leadership in implementation and change management activities.
- Assist in creating internal systems administration best practices, standards and documentation.
- Assist in developing long range technology plans.
- To be familiar with customer care, data protection and health and safety policies, and raise awareness amongst staff and learners.
- To improve ones own practice through training observation, discussion with_colleagues and performance management.
- To keep abreast of current hardware and software developments and provide_advice on the best product for a given task.
- To attend and participate in meetings as required.
- To work flexibly and undertake other duties of an equivalent nature
- At least 5 years’ experience in ICT and systems administration.
- Learner Management System (LMS) system administration; Blackboard LMS experience highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT related field preferred
- ICT experience in University environment
2. CONTENT DEVELOPER
- Responsible for all incoming communication relating to content on Blackboard, keeping records of queries, requests and resolutions to identify potential future requirements.
- Design and develop online resources, including interactive learning materials, screen captures, help sheets, video guides and animations for teaching staff, tailored to the needs of the students on their modules.
- Assist and train staff with uploading module content such as lecture slides and documentation to their module areas on Blackboard.
- Organize and deliver presentations to staff on the use of e-learning tools and technologies and the development of online learning resources.
- Provide advice and guidance in the design and production of online learning resources to staff to enable them to develop their own materials for their module areas on Blackboard.
- Liaise with the Library and professional services staff to aid the development of departmental areas on Blackboard.
- Support the adoption and promote the use of Blackboard, e-learning resources and new technologies to enhance the student learning experience.
- Build and maintain a reference bank of freely available educational resources and online tools which may be beneficial for staff and students.
- Demonstrate an awareness of user issues regarding accessibility, usability and user learning styles to ensure Blackboard, online learning resources and associated tools and technologies are accessible to all users.
- Contribute to the monitoring and evaluation of Blackboard and associated technologies, using appropriate qualitative and quantitative data, providing updates as required. Compilation of statistics and other relevant information for reports as requested.
- Participate in local and national VLE and e-learning networks to keep up-to-date with developments and trends in e-learning and emerging technologies that could support learning and teaching, and represent the team at internal and external meetings.
- Participate in relevant departmental projects that may be required by line manager.
- Performs quality assurance checks on training courses that have been developed
- Works on multiple projects concurrently, monitors activity, progress, and time related to project development
- Manage user accounts, access permissions and learner records; overseeing message boards and forums; updating content and developing new training materials.
Necessary skills, and qualities
To be an eLearning content developer you should have:
- a good standard of English
- solid and practical knowledge on Learning Management Systems
- knowledge of standard office software packages
- working knowledge of web authoring and web development software
- confident presentation and communication skills
- creative flair
- awareness of web development standards and accessibility issues
- attention to detail
- strong organisational skills
- the ability to multitask and work to deadlines
- the ability to work in teams, both internal and external
- Knowledge of privacy and confidentiality legislation, such as the Data Protection Act.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum Diploma in Technology, Instructional Design or equivalent; Preferred qualification: Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 5 years related experience in ICT field
- Facilitation skills a plus
- Experience administering, creating and hosting Learning Management Systems.
- Familiarity with the Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) and Blackboard Learning Management System is highly desirable.
This position provides the administrative and secretarial support for KABUO. In addition to typing, filing and scheduling, performs duties such as financial record keeping, coordination of meetings and conferences, receiving supplies, coordinating direct mailings, and working on special projects. Deals with a diverse group of important external callers and visitors as well as internal contacts at all levels of the organization. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize and organize diversified workload, recommends changes in office practices or procedures.
Performs administrative duties for the senior KABUO management. Responsibilities may include screening calls, making travel and meeting arrangements, preparing reports and financial data, training and supervising other support staff, and customer relations. Requires the ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors.
- Schedules and organizes complex activities such as meetings, travel, conferences and KABUO activities for all members of KABUO.
- Performs desktop publishing. In conjunction with the visual arts team, creates and develops visual presentations for the Director and Program manager.
- Establishes, develops, maintains and updates filing system for the Director and Program manager and the KABUO team. Retrieves information from files when needed.
- Establishes, develops, maintains and updates library of journals and magazines.
- Organizes and prioritizes large volumes of information and incoming calls.
- Sorts and distributes mail. Opens mail for the Director and Program manager. Drafts written responses or replies by phone or e-mail when necessary. Responds to regularly occurring requests for information
- Answers phones for Director and Program Manager and marketing KABUO. Takes messages or fields/answers all routine and non-routine questions. Works in cooperation with other support staff to cover phones.
- Acts as a liaison with outside agencies, including high-level staff such as CEOs, senior Directors and Program managers. Handles confidential and non-routine information and explains policies when necessary.
- Works independently and within a team on special nonrecurring and ongoing projects. Acts as project manager for special projects, at the request of the Director and Program manager, which may include: planning and coordinating multiple presentations, disseminating information, and coordinating direct mailings.
- Types and designs general correspondences, memos, charts, tables, graphs, business plans, etc. Proofreads copy for spelling, grammar and layout, making appropriate changes. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy.
- Supports the accountant in maintenance of the KABUO finances. Activities include: Imprest requests and surrender, requisitions, and appropriate financial reports as needed.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Administrative Assistant Skills and Qualifications:
Reporting Skills, Administrative Writing Skills, Microsoft Office Skills, Managing Processes, Organization, Analyzing Information , Professionalism, Problem Solving, Supply Management, Inventory Control, Spoken Communication, Social Media Skills, Internet Research Skills, Budget Experience
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Secretarial and computer applications skills
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Collaboration skills
- Communication Proficiency (written and oral)
- Bachelors in Business Administration or any equivalent degree
- Must have had at least 2 years’ experience in handling administrative duties in a busy and complex organization
- Highly conversant with Information Communications Technology
Applicants should forward their applications (soft copy to the undersigned email below) and detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating the full personal details. One should also attach supporting certified copies of certificates and testimonials and should indicate their current earning and salary expectations. Applicants should provide daytime telephone number and names and addresses of three referees who are knowledgeable about applicant’s competence, character and faith.
Applications should be addressed and sent (soft copy) to the undersigned to be received not later than 18th February 2015.
The Registrar (Administration & Human Resource)
Private Bag – 20157, KABARAK